Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mother's Day

We all know it, Mother's Day is a cliche "Greeting Card Holiday" but when you are infertile, it is so much more. You wake knowing that today is the day that others celebrate what you can't have. You go to church and watch ALL the mothers being called forward, and cry inwardly because very few know your story. Then you spend the rest of the day either trying to forget its Mother's Day by doing something fun (which really is impossible as strangers from the waitress at the restaurant to the girl at the perfume counter all ask remind you), or in the fetal position on your bed sobbing. I have done both, neither really works.
Now I am a Mom, and honestly other than the presents (public THANK YOU for the Pioneer Woman Cookbook to my son), today will go on like any other day. I woke up, made my coffee, and set out my son's breakfast. I took him potty, helped him take his nighttime pull-up off, and assisted him in washing his hands. I selected today's wardrobe, dressed him, and brushed his hair. Later I will cook, do dishes, and HOPEFULLY weed what will be my flower beds. The only difference for me is that today I will remember why I do these things.
Today I will remind myself that as little as three years ago, I cried because I couldn't do them. As you know, I don't claim perfection, I am a wreck. So often I forget why I do these things. I admittedly sleep in too late, spend too much time on facebook, and really despise working in my yard, but today I chose to celebrate my son. Really, isn't that what being a Mother is all about?


2 comments:

  1. Yes, we often set up this day and others with too high of expectations, no matter who we are. Thanks for being so honest and real. Your story will help others....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I felt compelled to post this after seeing so many moms talk about spending Mother's Day alone, or wanting alone time. Believe me, I want "MY" time as much as everyone else, but I felt like Mother's Day is the perfect day to sit and reflect on being a Mom.

      Delete