Thursday, April 12, 2012

Having "THE TALK"

After I had the dye test, I was somewhat excited...according to the tech this could be fixed. When we arrived at my Fertility Doc's office, reality set it. Sitting in her office, thankfully she has an actual office to meet in and not on a cold table, we chatted about the dye test results. She felt because a combination of things, that my chances of conceiving IF she could clear my tubes would be less than 20% in the first year. Those chances would then continue to decline over time. She also told me that I have a "beautiful uterus" (you don't hear that everyday) and that she has no doubts that I could carry a baby to term.
Her response to my situation was an IVF, ICSI. This is where they essentially harvest my eggs and implant (using a needle) his semen into each egg. She felt that this was the most successful of procedures (even in couples with normal sperm counts), but it comes with a cost. At that time the cost was $12,000. We didn't have that kind of money, and our insurance (which was only $10K to diagnose) was nearly used up. In addition to the financial piece to it, we were not comfortable with that procedure, especially if there were children waiting to be adopted. (PLEASE don't take this as criticism...IF you are going through an IVF, we believe that each family must make whatever decision that they are comfortable with. I cannot tell you what to do with your own body, I simply must make decisions based upon what I feel is best for me and my family.)
One thing I love about this doctor is her emphasis on making informed, educated, and well thought out decisions. She tells you to leave her office and discuss it. She encouraged us to do so with the IVF and also offered brochures on adoption. I really appreciate someone who even though they have a preferred route that they'd rather you take, allows you to make decisions on your own.
Honestly, we left her office empty handed and a little saddened, but better equipped to make our next decision on what to do on this journey. I believe that as a doctor, she did her job. She was informative and thorough. I couldn't thank her more for that.

For more info on IVF, ICSI I recommend that you start here:
http://www.webmd.com/infertility-and-reproduction/guide/intracytoplasmic-sperm-injection-for-infertility

No comments:

Post a Comment