Friday, February 3, 2012

Fertility on Your Head

I feel like its time to talk of the silly stuff you do when trying to get pregnant. You READ EVERYTHING...and try to follow as much advise as is possible. I remember reading somewhere that sometimes sperm, which I shall lovingly refer to as "little sailors" (get it?), need the help of gravity. So for MONTHS I would toss my butt in the air and lay like that for 15-20 minutes after our rendezvous. Another thing I heard was that some women have a tilted uterus (missing the technical term, sorry) and laying on their back with their butt in the air doesn't work, so I tried (without any diagnosis of said tilt to my uterus) laying on my stomach-ish in the fetal position with my butt in the air, again.
Honestly, if I thought it would help I would've even tried standing on my head. Some of you knew me in grade school, and know that standing on my head was NEVER going to work. I am just not that talented, but I would've tried.
I often imagine an image that I read in a book (Empty Womb Aching Heart by Marlo Schalesky) that a woman spoke of. She had just returned home from church, and was telling her husband of the well meaning older women who had surrounded her, after I can imagine word of her struggles with infertility had gotten out. One older woman suggested she stand on her head, while another was telling her to "just go on vacation" because that is when she (older woman) had conceived her first child. After the young woman shared her horrifying experience with her husband, they had a moment of clarity and laughed about some of the suggestions. Their short story in the book is ended by her telling him that maybe those women were onto something, she should "stand on her head while going on vacation".
When I think of myself trying every wives tale in the book, I imagine that woman. On vacation, somewhere tropical, in her hotel room, CLOTHED, and standing on her head. That image has always brought a smile to my face and given me a moment of clarity. So when you, like me, are having trouble seeing the light at the end take a moment and imagine that woman. It might just give you the same clarity.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0764224107/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=8819029627&ref=pd_sl_48unqihg5p_e

2 comments:

  1. I like that you can bring humor to a tough situation. Your story and then the comment about the woman being clothed reminded me of something I haven't thought of in years... when I was young and my mom had the "sex talk" and explained how a man and woman...and where babies actually came from...everything...except she left out one important detail. She forgot to mention you get naked. For the longest time, I could not figure out how in the heck you were supposed to do it with your clothes on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Tracy, I found it. Thank you for commenting. Your story cracked me up. I will make sure my husband and I remember that little detail when we have "THE TALK" with our kids. lol
    As for the humor with the tough stuff...if I couldn't laugh at this or myself, then I'd go insane over it all. I find that laughter really is the best medicine!

    ReplyDelete